movie reviews movie review
Search Archives DVD Mall Prog Land TV Contact Us Reviewer Bio

Search Movie Review Archives

0-9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

About DVDivas
Dvdivas was founded by John Gabbard in 2000. It's purpose has been and remains to be to provide you, the entertainment community with the latest dvds and movie reviews. It will continue to be your link to the most popular dvd movies.

“90210"- (New)-{Season-1}
Reviewer:
Taylor Carlson
Studio: Paramount
Genre:
TV Series
Release Date:
8/11/09
Special Features:

Set Tour, Day in the Life featurette, Commentary on select episodes, music featurette, codes featurette, fashion featurette, making-of featurette

Review:

90210 stars Rob Estes, Shenae Grimes, Anna Lynne McCord, Tristan Wilds, Ryan Eggold, Lori Loughlin, Dustin Milligan, Michael Steger, Jessica Stroup, and Jessica Walter. ***

90210 is the fourth series in the franchise that was started with Beverly Hills 90210, and later spawned the equally-successful Melrose Place. The series follows a brother and sister who have just moved out to the west coast, back to their birthplace with their father to care for their alcoholic grandmother. The series follows the drama that ensues. ***

By this point in time, I thought this multi-franchise universe had been exhausted. But after watching this set, I have been proven wrong. While the setting and universe are the same, this is far from a rehash. The new characters are just as three-dimensional and well-played as any that came before in the earlier series. The writing is sharp, and the series well-directed. It isn’t hard to see why this series is one of those few that has actually been renewed for additional seasons (after all, so many shows are given the axe in season 1.) ***

The set is spread across 6 discs, and it contains every episode from the show’s first season. ---

Image and Sound:

As a recent television series, 90210 looks and sounds pretty damn good for its home video debut. It’s a clear, bright picture throughout that rarely suffers any sort of image anomaly. Like most recent shows on television, this one’s picture quality is superb. Audio is front-heavy and dialogue-intensive given the nature of the show, which was to be expected. All in all, this set looks and sounds great. ---

Special Features:

Quite a few featurettes are included on the disc. These are mostly the “making of” type supplements, as well as some information on characters and even a few episode commentaries. It’s interesting stuff, and I’m glad to see this series wasn’t given a bare-bones release for its DVD debut.

Final Words:

90210 is an entertaining drama throughout, and this first season could very well be a sign of things to come. After this many shows in this fictional universe, I thought the formula would have become stale – how wrong I was. This is an excellent series, and it held this viewer’s attention throughout. Highly recommended!

Copyright @ Teakwood Productions 2000
Home News DVDWorld DVDLand(Links) DVDVoices
Search Archives DVD Mall Prog Land TV Contact Us Reviewer's Bio
Upcoming DVDs In Theatres Soon Other Popular Reviews
This Page Design By Dominion Technology Provider

In Theatres Soon Upcoming DVDs Alias Tomb Raider Casablanca NYPD Blues